How to learn anything extremely fast?
Well, that book is precisely about that. Josh is a master learner and he chose few skills that he became quite good at within 20 hours.
I resolved to learn Colemak after reading this book. Took me longer than 20 hours (keyzen-colemak was quite helpful)
- Research the skill and related topics.
- Jump in over your head.
- Identify mental models and mental hooks.
- Imagine the opposite of what you want.
- Talk to practitioners to set expectations.
- Eliminate distractions in your environment.
- Use spaced repetition and reinforcement for memorization.
- Create scaffolds and checklists.
- Make and test predictions.
- Honor your biology – absorb vast quantites of knowledge just prior to sleep
- Choose a lovable project.
- Focus your energy on one skill at a time.
- Define your target performance level.
- Deconstruct the skill into subskills.
- Obtain critical tools.
- Eliminate barriers to practice.
- Make dedicated time for practice.
- Create fast feedback loops.
- Practice by the clock in short bursts.
- Emphasize quantity and speed.